Crazy Random Happenstance

Billy: So good... Hey, this is weird. I ordered one frozen yogurt and they gave me two. You don't happen to like frozen yogurt, do you?
Penny: I love it!
Billy: You're kidding? What a crazy random happenstance!
-Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Let's talk TV.

Greetings, gentle readers!

A lot has been happening in the world of TV the last two weeks. All the networks have been showing off their potential pilots for the the Fall season. Last year at this time there was a whole lot of nothing to look forward to as far as new shows go. I can't think of one new show that held my interest this season. As it turns out, it didn't matter because I am pretty certain almost all of them were canceled. It was a really crappy tv season, friends. Not just for the new shows, but for my old favorites as well.  

Grey's Anatomy started off crazy good and went steadfastly downhill. So much so, that I am not really looking forward to watching the season finale. But I will. Out of some irrational sense of obligation I feel toward the show, even though I think Shonda Rhimes is an idiot. Glee had a rough sophomore season. Let's be honest here, their second season was chalk full of inconsistencies, stupid storylines and plots that made NO SENSE (cough-Emma/Carl getting married-cough). I was real close to calling it quits (maybe), but somewhere about 3 or 4 episodes back, it found it's groove again. Right about the time Gwyneth Paltrow exited (how's that for coincidence?). Ryan Murphy has a tendency to go a little balls-out crazycakes with his shows to the point where the characters almost become cartoons (Nip/Tuck anyone?) but he managed to reel things back in and bring the plot back which has made SUCH a difference. Not to mention they brought back the one and only Jesse St. James (Jonathan Groff) for the last 3 episodes and Jesse St. James makes everything better, people. He really does.

Oh, I am also eagerly anticipating the Bones season finale this evening. I'll let you know if it disappoints me or not. I am trying not to get my hopes up too much for it because Hart Hanson has a way of reeaaalllyyy dropping the ball when it comes to important episodes on that show. I am optimistic though, especially because the season has been somewhat of a letdown all year.

The only shows that haven't let me down this year are Vampire Diaries and Modern Family. Both shows remained consistently fresh and so so entertaining all year. The Vampire Diaries season finale was subtle and awesome. I can't wait for next season. Modern Family is just fun, funny and heartwarming. I. Love. It.

Anyway, with all that being said, there are a billion new shows being premiered in the fall and here are the ones I am looking forward to the most (in no particular order):

The New Girl (FOX, Tuesdays @ 9:00)- Starring the ALWAYS adorable and charming Zooey Deschanel, as a (geeky) girl who moves in with three guys after she finds her boyfriend cheating on her. Any description I give it won't do it justice, so just watch the preview below. I am super duper excited for this show. SUPER DUPER.





Ringer (CW, Tuesdays @ 9:00)- This show marks Sarah Michelle Gellar's return to tv. Hooray! She plays identical twins, Bridget and Siobhan. After Bridget (a recovering alcoholic) witnesses a murder, she runs away to New York to make amends with her sister who is married and living a fairytale lifestyle. Siobhan disappears and Bridget basically takes over her identity.


 The Secret Circle (CW Thursdays, @ 9:00)- An ordinary girl (played by Britt Robertson) moves to a small town with her mother, only to discover she's a full blooded witch. This show is based on the book series by L.J. Smith and I looooved the books. They left out a lot of characters and the descriptions don't match those of the book but I am determined to keep an open mind about this. Kevin Williamson (of Dawson's Creek and Vampire Diaries fame) is in charge of this, so I have very high hopes.


Once Upon a Time (ABC, Sundays @ 8:00)- This one stars Jennifer Morrison (eh) and Ginnifer Goodwin and is brought to us by Lost executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis. This one is kind of hard to explain. It has to do with a bail bonds enforcer, a son that was given up for adoption, alternate worlds and fairytales. Check it out.


Apt. 23 (ABC, midseason)- This is a shallow pick. I'm basically picking it because of James Van Der Beek. He plays himself.


Alcatraz (FOX, Mondays @ 9:00)- This midseason drama is brought to you by J.J. Abrams (duh, of course this one is on my list) and starring Jorge Garcia. This show is about the prison Alcatraz. Shocking, right? Oh, and there is some sort of time traveling involved. NO! Not in a J.J. Abrams show!? Anyway, it follows a detective (played by Sarah Jones) who teams up with an expert (Jorge Garcia), after a murder suspect turns out to be an Alcatraz prisoner who disappeared from the island about 50yrs ago.


Person Of Interest (CBS, Thursdays @ 9:00)- Also brought to you by J.J. Abrams and starring Ben Linus... I mean, Michael Emerson, this one is about a billionaire (Emerson) who hires a presumed dead CIA Agent (Jim Caviezel) to catch violent criminals in New York. Really though, all you need to know is that this stars BEN from Lost, people. The end.


There you go. Those are the shows I am most excited for. Hopefully they won't disappoint.

Also, I should mention (going back to current TV shows), I loved the Castle season finale. They did a really great job with it. I won't go in to detail because I don't want to spoil anyone but I really enjoyed it.

Another thing, I have been really lax in my viewings of The Office. I have yet to watch Steve Carell's last episode and we didn't record the last 2 episodes. I think my Office watching has come to an end. I am undecided on whether or not I want to watch the season finale. Can anyone convince me that I should??

6 comments:

  1. You have to continue watching the Office...........good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on Glee...Its been a downward spiral all season long and I completely blame that downward spiral on two things.
    1.) Ryan Murphy needing to appease everyone in Hollywood and inviting them on the show and creating some stupid role for them (i.e. Gwenyth Paltrow...sick) and

    2. Creating the character Holly Holliday or whatever her stupid name is. She was inappropriate, chaotic and that was exactly how the show was the entire duration she was on there.

    Thankfully, Gwennie is gone and I can only hope she won't return and hack up another good song.

    Moving on...

    Grey's Anatomy--HEY SHONDA RIMES!! QUIT WATCHING THE FIRST THREE SEASONS OF YOUR FORMERLY SUCCESSFUL SHOW!!

    I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been decided... I have had it UP TO HERE with Grey's and Glee. Thank goodness they are both done for the summer. What disappointments. They have succeeded in making me have zero interest in next season. Congratulations Ryan Murphy and Shonda Rhimes, for taking your once great shows and turning them into nonsense!

    "Good on you!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's not kid ourselves. We will still watch Grey's next season and I know that because it could be potentially the last season with the original cast members. How can we give up now when all we know is that everyone ends up alone.

    But honestly, after next season I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know we will still watch it. Just like I will end up watching DWTS again because Carrie will talk me into it.

    I'm just not looking forward to next season. Every character will end up alone... WITH a baby.

    ReplyDelete