Crazy Random Happenstance

Billy: So good... Hey, this is weird. I ordered one frozen yogurt and they gave me two. You don't happen to like frozen yogurt, do you?
Penny: I love it!
Billy: You're kidding? What a crazy random happenstance!
-Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Might I suggest...

That you don't see the movie Red Riding Hood, starring Amanda Seyfried and directed by Catherine Hardwicke? Yeah, yeah, I know... You are all asking "Sarah! Why would you watch that movie to begin with!?" Well, I was curious. Firstly, I wanted to see just how much like Twilight it really was and the answer is this: so much like Twilight you have no idea. The longing stares, the loud score, the choppy cuts, not one but two Edward Cullen look-alikes... Twilight 2.0, friends. Secondly, it had Gary Oldman and Billy Burke in it. I like them both a lot, so how bad could this movie be? Terrible. It was terrible. So terrible in fact, that Dawn said she felt like she owed me a dollar for having to sit through it. It is 90 minutes that we will not get back, however, we (Dawn, Jeff and I) had a great time making fun of it while we watched. It was one of those times that I wished we were recording ourselves because lots of laughs were had. So, yeah, don't see that movie and if you have already, I'm sorry.

That you go see Super 8 while it's still in theaters.  You all know my love for JJ Abrams. It's no secret how much I adore the man who gave me Alias and he absolutely does not disappoint with this film. He wrote and directed it (Steven Spielberg produced it) and he did such a great job. I'm not going to go into detail about the plot or anything because you need to be surprised, but it is a mixture of Stand By Me/The Goonies/The Sandlot and E.T. If you love anything about any of these movies, go see this film. The cast of kids is virtually unknown, with the exception of Elle Fanning (Dakota Fanning's little sister) and they were wonderful. Joel Courtney (who plays Joe Lamb, the main character) was so fantastic. I am interested to see what he does next. So, take me up on this. You won't regret it. Go see it and then tell me how much you loved it (or hated it, whatever) but promise that you'll stay for the credits. 

 That you check out Game Of Thrones (if you haven't already) when it comes out on DVD. I am not exaggerating when I say that this show was done phenomenally well. Is it disturbing? Yes, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. I am currently reading the first book in the series by George R. R. Martin, that the show was based on and so far, it is spot on. Normally, I am the type of person who will read the books first and then watch the show/movie. Not this time. I am SO glad that I watched the show first. The element of surprise that goes into the scenes and the shock value is so much fun to experience. I am going to try to do this with the rest of the series as well but I may not be able to wait that long.

That you have an open mind when it comes to this season of True Blood. ***Spoilers ahead if you haven't watched last night's premiere*** You know me, I am a huge, huge advocate of the book series by Charlaine Harris. I love the story (with the exception of the last few books) and I love the show. They are not one in the same. Each series is it's own entity. I know that when it comes to book adaptations and TV shows, people can be very picky. I admit, I can be that way too but this season, I am going to trust that Alan Ball knows what he's doing. After watching the season 4 premiere and having some time to process it, I have decided that I really enjoyed it. Is it like the book? Nope. Not at all. YET. I have accepted that not everything is going to be an exact carbon copy of the story from the book. Do I still compare the storylines? You bet your ass I do. Do I still pause the show in the middle of a scene to explain the differences  between the book story and the current TV story to Jeff (whether he wants me to or not)? You betcha! But that's OK because I am incredibly intrigued by every story they presented us with last night (except for Tara's. UGH, just go away, Tara!) Especially (surprisingly) Bill's. In the books his character is pretty much weeded out. She turns him into a straight edge, boring, computer geek. So, to see that he has the potential to be a badass, as the King of Louisiana?? I accept! The fairy stuff (which I actually do not care for in the books) has me completely interested. Of course, I look forward to seeing where the Sookie/Eric storyline goes (I cannot wait to see where that goes!!) but I am going to be open-minded. I urge you to be open-minded with me. Obviously, they are not following Dead to the World exactly. Obviously. But let's just see where they go with it. On a television show, they have a lot more room to play around and be visual and flesh out the characters. I'm going to (try) to be patient and see where they take us. Who knows? I may be eating my words come season finale time and I promise you, my gentle readers, that I will be the first to admit it if that happens as long as you promise to be patient and see what Alan Ball has in store. 

That if you partake in such festivities as a fireworks display, a carnival or a concert... anywhere that may have you stuck in a packed parking lot, waiting to get into the flow of traffic, that you are considerate of your fellow drivers? Typically the rule is; one car goes, then another car is let in, one car goes and so on. So many times, this is not the case. Why are you in such a hurry?? Everyone is stuck in the same place (and yes, I'm talking to you, Mr. Douchebag in the red mustang, from the Spree fireworks last night) and if drivers were more courteous, the flow of traffic would go a lot more smooth than if someone is being a giant hole. As you can guess, this happened to Jeff, C and I last night (after a wonderful evening of watching the fireworks with Dawn and Bill). Mr. Mustang actually took the time to maneuver his car so that there was no way we would be able to get in front of him. After clapping boisterously for him and congratulating him on his "big win" he proceeded to tell us that if his "F'ing daughter hadn't been in the car..." something would have happened? He would have let us in? He would have gotten into a fight with Jeffrey a' la' Jets vs. Sharks style? Who's to say? All I know is my CBear summed up the incident perfectly when he said "Mommy and Daddy, that guy is a baaaaaad boy!" Indeed he is. So don't be a "baaaad boy" when dealing with a parking lot clusterfrick. Chillax and be a nice driver.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all of this one billion percent, coffee constant!

    ReplyDelete