Crazy Random Happenstance

Billy: So good... Hey, this is weird. I ordered one frozen yogurt and they gave me two. You don't happen to like frozen yogurt, do you?
Penny: I love it!
Billy: You're kidding? What a crazy random happenstance!
-Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Dilemma, A Couple Reviews and Channeling our "Inner Kelly Taylor"

I have a TV dilemma of sorts this evening. Not really a dilemma anymore, as I have decided what I am going to do BUT it was a dilemma nonetheless. I'm talking about Dancing With The Stars (ABC 8pm-10pm) being on at the same time as The Sing-Off (NBC 8pm-10pm). Ben Folds and lots of insanely talented singers VS. an out of control DWTS cast. What to watch and what to DVR? I know the anticipation is killing you, so I will just tell you: I'm going to watch Dancing With The Stars live, while the DVR records my precious Ben Folds for me. Why? Because Carrie will be watching DWTS live and we must text each other while it's on. We MUST. Anyway, I am looking forward to both of these shows, especially The Sing-Off, not only because I get to see Mr. Folds on my TV every week but I am really looking forward to seeing Sara Bareilles (taking over for Nicole Scherzinger, who is now on the X Factor) as a judge. The show is usually on at Christmas time but they've decided to premiere it in the Fall. You should check it out, if you have never seen it. Some seriously talented people on this show. It's very entertaining, I promise.

Also, Castle kicks off its new season this evening on ABC at 10pm. Welcome back, Nathan Fillion! I sure hope Beckett's wardrobe gets better this season... but then again, I kind of enjoy making fun of all her really awful outfits.

Who watched the Emmy's last night? I did and I really enjoyed them. Reading all the reviews of the awards today, I would say that I am definitely in the minority on that one. Honestly though, I think I enjoyed it so much because almost everyone I wanted to win, won and that is always fun. I thought Jane Lynch did a good job and I didn't get bored until they started talking about all the TV movies and mini-series that I have never heard of. The fact that Peter Dinklage won Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister in Game Of Thrones was reason enough for me to love the awards ceremony. I never used to like Dinklage. In all the other things I had ever seen him in (Elf, Nip/Tuck), he always drove me nuts, so I was bummed when I saw he was going to be on GOT. As the season went on though, he blew me away and his character quickly became one of my favorites. He really is a fantastic actor and it doesn't hurt that he was cast in a role that was absolutely perfect for him. Finally, WOO freaking HOO for Modern Family. I love this little comedy so much and to see it get some well deserved recognition makes me so very happy! Jane Lynch said it best when she said "Welcome back to the Modern Family awards!" They went 5 for 5 with Julie Bowen winning for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series and Ty Burrell for Best Supporting Male. The writers won a couple and then the entire cast and crew won for Best Comedy Series. This show is consistently hilarious and heartwarming and every person on it shines at one time or another. Seriously, if you have yet to get on the Modern Family train, hop on and see what all the fuss is about. And then tell me how right I am. I really enjoy being right!

Last week, Jeff and I watched the pilot episode for Up All Night, starring Christina Applegate and Will Arnett. It's a half hour comedy about a married couple dealing with the "newness" of being first time parents. Maya Rudolph is in it as well and plays an Oprah-type character. It's not a show devoted to the dealings of the baby itself, in fact, the baby is barely in it. It's moreso about how they re-adjust to everyday life. I really enjoyed this first episode. It's very easy to relate to and if i'm being honest, I think it's making me have a small crush on Will Arnett. He makes me laugh and I hope it ends up being picked up.

We also watched the Season 3 premiere of The Vampire Diaries (CW, Thursdays @ 8pm). Loved it. Love seeing Stefan as a "bad guy" and well, I just love seeing Damon Salvatore back on my TV.

The Secret Circle (CW, Thursdays @ 9pm) premiered right after Vampire Diaries. I've talked about this show before, just mentioning that I had read the books (by L.J. Smith) and that they were turning it into a TV show. The show is pretty much nothing like the books (so far) but I will stick with it for now and see how they interpret the story. Kevin Williamson is behind the creation of it and I have total faith in him. We'll see if he changes my opinion of him as the season progresses.

Oh! Since I wasn't really able to comment a whole lot on the True Blood finale in my last post, here are a few quick thoughts:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

* Sookie found her inner Kelly Taylor and picked herself over Bill, Eric and Alcide.
* Alcide abjured Debbie Pelt. (Straight out of the book. LOVED it!)
* Steve Newlin's a vamp!
* Jason Stackhouse. There is no specific reason for mentioning him, I just really, really love him.
* Russell Edgington is free! ("Are you SERIOUS?!") Hahaha
* Bye bye, Debbie Pelt.
* And finally... last but not least and the reason I danced a jig at the end of the episode (literally, I jumped up off the couch and started dancing in the middle of my living room floor), TARA WAS SHOT IN THE HEAD by a shotgun blast that was meant for Sookie. Thanks, Debbie! No one can say you were good for nothing now!

Zooey Deschanel's New Girl premiere's tomorrow night on Fox @ 9pm!

Oh... and Glee's 3rd season premiere's tomorrow night as well. Ehhhh. (Note my lack of enthusiasm there)

No comments:

Post a Comment