Crazy Random Happenstance

Billy: So good... Hey, this is weird. I ordered one frozen yogurt and they gave me two. You don't happen to like frozen yogurt, do you?
Penny: I love it!
Billy: You're kidding? What a crazy random happenstance!
-Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fred and Jean


06/27/98

First thing we'd climb a tree 
and maybe then we'd talk
or sit silently
and listen to our thoughts
with illusions of someday
casting a golden light
no dress rehearsal, 
this is our life
Ahead By a Century- The Tragically Hip

The first time I knew Jeffrey was the one for me was when he showed up to my graduation party (06/27/98 the first time we hung out) with a card and a journal. Throughout all of my teenage years I wrote in a journal every single night. I filled pages upon pages of those things. It was a way of working out my frustrations and it was easier than talking to real people about it. Pens and paper were my friends. Journals were my thing. They represented a way for me to express all my hopes and dreams without having to worry about what others would say. I don't remember if I told Jeff all that prior to this or not but the fact that he brought me a simple, blank book meant so much more to me than any
other type of gift. It was perfect and I remember being amazed that a boy could be so nice to me.

Right from the start we "got" each other. We bonded over hockey and our frustrations with working in the
Housewarming Party 09/00
mall. We would talk on aol for hours and hours. I couldn't wait to come home from work and listen for that dial up connection sound of the modem and hear the "You've got mail" jingle. He made me giddy. I remember one of my friends saying that he liked me but I didn't believe them. "He's 9 years older than me", I said. In my mind there was no way a 26yr old, handsome, nice boy would ever like little 17yr old me. But he did and I was insanely happy. I didn't care about the age difference. I was, however, a little worried about what my parents would say. I had an advantage in that my mom already knew him from the mall. They talked every morning and she knew he was a good guy. The night before my graduation party, while balling some melons (melon ballz), Rhonda asked her what she would think if Jeff and I were to start dating. My mom said "age is just a number nowadays. It doesn't mean anything". I couldn't stop smiling. After coming to my party and hanging out for a long time, we made plans for the next day to go to Wendys for lunch and to the mall (of all places) to see Igor Larionov sign autographs. And that was the start of this wonderful relationship that I cherish with all my
heart.

Engaged! 06/26/01
3 years after that party, Jeff took me out to Kensington. After being attacked by bugs on a nature walk (I wasn't friends with the outdoors back then but I am slowly getting better) and taking some Motrin for my horrendous wisdom tooth pain, we ate a picnic lunch by Turtlehead pond and he asked me if I was ready for dessert. "Dessert?" I said. That's when he proposed to me. It was perfect and we were both ridiculously happy. The first place we went afterward was to visit our friend Jill at Comic City and tell her the news. She was thrilled for us. Then we went to my parents house to celebrate with them. We planned our wedding for 2 years. We had lots of time to get all of the little details and everything we wanted just right and
Engagement Pic
on June 27th, 2003, during a ceremony that I blubbered my way through while Jeff remained poised and articulate, we became Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Scott. It was a perfect, perfect day (aside from the photographer. I REALLY hated our photographer). The weather was beautiful,  the food was delicious (the mashed potatoes were out. of. control.) and the music was fun. Having our families and friends there to celebrate with us was the icing on our already delicious cake. Afterward, we came home and relaxed with Logan Lebeau. It was perfection.

We Honeymooned in Stratford, Ontario during the Shakespeare Festival. Most people go somewhere beachy or Tropical or European. We went Canadian and had the very best time. Home of The Tragically Hip and The Barenaked Ladies. The birthplace of Hockey. Of course we went to Canada. We saw some plays, walked around the quaint downtown area, shopped, read some books (I read Order Of The Phoenix. It had just come out days before and Jeffrey read a Star Wars book. We were made fun of hardcore for this, by the way.) and relaxed by the Avon river. We ate breakfast every day at a little cafe down the street that we loved and ate dinner at an Irish Pub called Molly Blooms (which Jeff referred to as Molly McBlooms the entire time), where, when I asked the waitress for a side of ranch and she responded (in her Irish accent) "Not a worry", I never wanted to leave. It was so great and the best way to start our married life together.

It's been 10 years since then. TEN years! It blows my mind that so much time has passed. I still feel like that same 17 year old girl from 15yrs ago. I still get excited when we get to have a date night. It puts a smile on my face whenever I get a text from him. Seeing him with Charley melts my heart and I could not be more
Mr. & Mrs. Jeffrey Scott!
06/27/03
proud of the little family we have built together.

So, thank you, to my wonderful Fred. My knight in shining armor; for 15 years of togetherness and 10 years of wedded bliss. Thank you for introducing me to The Tragically Hip and Toad The Wet Sprocket. For taking me to my first Renaissance Festival. For getting me to like country music (even though I groan and roll my eyes when it comes on, I do enjoy it).  For showing me how lovely relationships could be. Thank you for giving me the most incredible little boy. For loving me even when I am freaking out and sighing up a storm. For listening to all my complaints and irritations over the years. For being my shoulder to cry on and for putting up with my weird sleep-talking.                                                                                                                          
Welcome, Charley Robert!
05/31/07

Most of all, thank you for loving me for me. You brought sunshine and happiness into my world. You are the Han to my Leia, the Westley to my Buttercup, The Ron to my Hermione, the Mr. Darcy to my Elizabeth And the Michael Vaughn to my Sydney Bristow.

You are the Fred to my Jean.
Here is to many, many, many more years together. I love you S'much XOXOXOXO

















3 comments:

  1. Awww! I love your love story...and balling melons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't roll my eyes, not once!!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete